Saturday, August 6, 2011

Changes

Still holding the locket, Eve and me stand near the Templar headquarters until we see Ser August return. He looks tired, with a sad expression in his face, and I can guess his visit to the alienage didn’t end well. Or maybe it is still because of my misadventure with the City Watch. Who knows. I squeeze Eve’s hand and step ahead. We’re not going to step back now.
The templar rubs his forehead when he sees us approaching. “Did we have class today? Maker, I forgot girls… I’m sorry”. He's forgetting some things latelly, he blames the lyrium he's addicted to, but this is not the case.
We both shake our heads at the same time.
“No”, I start.
“We wanted to talk to you”, Eve continues.
Ser August stops and stares at us. He has realized this is serious. “Girls…”, he mumbles, rubbing his nape, nervous.
“How did you get this?”, I say, showing him the necklace with the locket. He opens his eyes wide.
“How…?” he starts again, and since he’s going to make the same question as us, I don’t want to let him continue.
“This belonged to our mother” I rush to say. “We remember it very clearly”.
“And now you have it”, adds Eve.
He takes it from my hand. I think it is to look at it more carefully, but to my surprise, he pockets it and I frown. All right, I’ll have to pickpocket it later. I’m not allowing him to keep it. “This is a proof, girls. And the only clue we have to find the murderer”
“But this means you know about how our parents died!” Eve protests. I suddenly remember the figure in heavy armor who crouched to check if mom was alive… I only had a glimpse through the wardrobe’s keyhole… but… could it be…?
He steps ahead and enters the headquarters.
“Go to the orphanage and fetch your things. We’re leaving”, he says while walking past us, and for once we both are left speechless.

 Some sketches from a meme about the twin's early days at the inn.

“Two days in this damn place and I’m already bored to hell”, I mutter, leaning on one of the twin beds of the room I share with my sister and looking at the ceiling. Eve sighs.
“I was thinking I could keep a rat as a pet, what do you think?” she says. Guess she feels as lonely and bored as I do.
Ser August never explained why we had to leave Denerim, but I guess it is related to my encounter with the watch and that petty noble, so I can’t help but feeling a bit guilty. He hasn’t returned the locket to us either, and that pisses me off. I snort.
“I’ve heard Ser August wants to investigate about some stolen relics tomorrow”, Eve says distractedly. She’s still making plans about how to catch that rat.
“Is Mihitu coming?” I say, suddenly interested. Eve smirks, but shakes her head.
“I don’t think so”
Mihitu. Of all the people we’ve met in this damn tavern, he’s the only remotely interesting person.
Don’t get me wrong. If we were eager to have a life, to socialize with people, I suppose we would even be able to meet some friends here. I even like some of the people I've seen so far. But I’m not sure how long we’re staying here, and I don’t want to get tied to anybody. Eve thinks the same. So we spend more time in our room or around the tavern than actually getting to know better our inn mates.
But I'm not blind, and there’s people we couldn’t help but notice. Mihitu was one of them.
He was already here when we arrived, standing as if he owned the place. I though he was an elf too, at first, because he definitely had elven features, but someone told me he wasn’t. It is funny because I’ve always been told elves and humans don’t mix… if an elf mates with a human, their offspring is always human. But he’s got pointy ears… and is taller than most of us. And… he’s got only one eye, but each time I meet it… wow, my heart goes so faster! Eve laughs at me.
“You have a thing for one-eyed people”.
And I throw a pillow to her. “It’s not true!”
“Oh it is! Must be because of Dorian!”
And I jump over her and we roll on the floor laughing, because we never argue seriously.
"Say what you want! But that guy is hot, and I'll get a kiss from him! You'll see!" I threaten. And she shrugs. We may be twins, but our tastes are not the same. But I know she will help me, and I'm determined to get him. Finally we stop rolling and laughing and lay on the floor, staring at the ceiling.
"You think that quest Ser August signed for will be dangerous?"
I shrug. "I suppose no. He wouldn't have included us if it were. And we may even earn honest money from it". I sigh.
"Maybe it is related to our parents deaths", Eve suggests. And I nod. It would make sense. Then I got up.
"All right. Gonna fetch something for Stripes at the kitchen, and maybe supplies for tomorrow. Come with me?"
Evelyn smiles, gets up and follows me. Our life has definitely changed.
And I hope it is a change for the good.

No comments:

Post a Comment